Thursday, September 16, 2010

Photography

Blog Prompt #3

"Photography deals exquisitely with appearances, but nothing is what it appears to be" is a quote by Duane Michals.  I agree with the quote because most photographers "create" the scene that they are photographing.  In addition, many photographers edit their images.  Also, by making a double exposure image, you could have a photograph that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

Blog Prompt #4

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" is a quote by Lewis Hine.  I disagree with the quote because photographs, in my opinion, are not just used to tell stories.  Also, with photographs, individuals can "write" their own stories based on their ideas and feelings from the image.  There are situations when photographic images reveal the story and situations when words reveal the story.  In my opinion, an example of when photographic images reveal the story is when the image brings emotional thoughts or feelings or when the image is capturing the beauty of something.  I think both situations are instances where someone could say "you had to see it" and I don't think that words can truly do justice in either situation.  In my opinion, an example of when words reveal the story is when you are talking about or describing something or someone more in depth.  For example, if you are describing a friend, a photograph could show what they looked like, but couldn't tell you about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment