Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Assignment 4: Popular Media


This is my idea of a yearbook picture.  I took the picture inside with artificial lighting and I had my friend pose in front of a background that reminded me of the backgrounds in school pictures.  Also, when I think of yearbook pictures, I think of people dressing up a little more than they would on a regular day of school, so I wanted her to have dressy clothes on and not just casual clothing.  I took the picture of just the top portion of her and had her centered in the frame.  I think yearbook pictures have a cultural and social aspect because they are pictures that students have taken every year and usually pass out to their friends and family members.  The class thought this image looked more like a corporate/business portrait of a worker (for their id badge or something), than a yearbook picture.  They felt that I needed to crop more of the bottom off and not have her arms shown in the image.


I tried to think of something to sell that most people wouldn't see on craigslist or ebay. As a child, I sold candy that I didn't want to other kids, so I thought it might be interesting to try to sell my unwanted/leftover candy from Halloween. I used indoor lighting and I tried to take the picture, so it looked like I just dumped out the candy from my Halloween bag.  The class liked this image and they got the idea that I was trying to convey about a child dumping their candy out onto a table or the floor.


This is my idea of a photobooth session. Usually photobooth pictures show a few friends gathered together to get pictures of each other making funny faces or just acting crazy.  Photobooth style pictures have a simple background, which I tried to create using a black sheet. If I reshoot the image, I'd like to have a smoother background and try to iron the wrinkles out of the sheet first. Also, I'd like to have multiple images put together, so that the photographs are in a strip and look like they came out of a photobooth.  I did add multiple images together for the final critique, but the class was split on wether they liked them or not because of the props (hats).


This is my snapshot image.  I went to the football game and tried to get there early, so I could be sitting up front, with little or no people in front of me.  I didn't want heads in front or me and I didn't want to have to crop people out.  I took several pictures because I wanted to get one that truly looked like a snapshot.  This was my favorite.  I took it in landscape orientation and I like how you can see the main scene on the field, but also the people watching in the background.  The class liked this picture as a snapshot image also.

No comments:

Post a Comment